Sunday, November 25, 2012

#Unprocessed (& Delicious!) Peanut Butter

I pledged to do October less processed, and one of my favorite food items that needed a make over was definitely me beloved Low Fat Jif. So, yes I realize it's the end of November and I'm just getting around to posting about this but I was reminded of it as I made my grocery list because this was a change that ended up sticking!

Ok, so let's start with my beloved Jif that I've eaten for years. I thought it was peanut butter. But no! It's a peanut "spread". I assumed the ingredients couldn't be that bad because really how much do you need to alter peanuts to make peanut butter? And I was wrong again with that one too. Here's the ingredient list:


Reduced Fat Jif Ingredients:


PEANUTS, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, SUGAR, SOY PROTEIN, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: SALT, FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OILS (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, MOLASSES, MAGNESIUM OXIDE, NIACINAMIDE, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE, ZINC OXIDE, COPPER SULFATE, FOLIC ACID, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE.

Here's how you make peanut butter:
  1. Put peanuts in food processor
Boom. Peanut butter. So why all the extra stuff Jif?! 

I knew I wouldn't be making my own peanut butter (even though it's so darn easy), so I decided to find a yummy natural one without all the extra stuff in it. I ended up trying MaraNatha's No Stir Organic Peanut Butter and it was a home-freaking-run. I love it and will never eat anything else!

Thus, Unprocessed October was a huge success in my book!


No comments:

Post a Comment