Sunday, September 23, 2012

"Who Moved My Cheese?"

I want to preface this by saying that I HATE long blog posts! I never read a post longer than a short paragraph, so I forgive you in advance if you skip this one. :)

It's interesting how I finally came to reading this parable after hearing about it for so many years. I was interviewing a candidate last week who worked in a different industry, so I asked her why she would be interesting in changing industries at this point in her career and her response was "I'm very comfortable where I am." I waited for her to finish that thought, but that was it. She didn't say anything else so I questioned it and she asked if I'd ever read "Who Moved My Cheese?" and of course I hadn't but lied and said I did a long time ago. (Yeah not awesome.) Long story short, I walk out of my office to take a little break and decide to peruse one of the many book cases filled with what I thought was just a bunch of old corporate crap, and wouldn't you know....there was the book sitting right there less than 3 feet away from my office and I had never noticed it there before. Thank you Universe.

I'll refrain from explaining the story, but will jump to the take home message.




The question of the century! I'm not even sure I have an answer for that yet, but I need to answer it in order to be able to truly understand how my fears effect my decisions and behavior and maybe even figure out how to get over a few humps both in my professional and personal relationships. 

I know with losing weight I wouldn't have thought that I was afraid of it, but was just lazy and unmotivated. But during this journey I've had a few moments of clarity where I've realized that I was afraid of what life might be like as a non-fat person. Who would I be once the costume was off? How would other people perceive me? Would people have new expectations of me and would I have new ones of myself? What is life like without the constant struggle with the scale? I found that not only were there fears associated with losing weight, but there were thousands of them!

As with the parable, I've found happiness along the way of losing weight, in the process, not necessarily at the destination. I feel good moving and taking care of my body even though I haven't reached my ideal number. This book is definitely one that I'll keep on the shelf and revisit from time to time. I highly recommend it for everyone...especially because you can read the whole book in less than an hour! Definitely an hour well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment